2019 Event Information
Sunday, November 3, 2019
Willis Tower, 233 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606
Get directions from Google Maps
Schedule of Events
- 6:30 a.m. - Race site opens
- 7:00 a.m. - First wave of climbers
- 11 a.m. - Last wave of climbers. Doors close promptly at 11:15 a.m.
Be on time for your climb. Please arrive at Willis Tower 15 minutes before your assigned start time. Hand cyclists are asked to go directly to the Hand Cycle Arena; climbers will be asked to report to the staging area for climber line-up. Please note: Last climb time is at promptly at 11:00 a.m. and doors will close at 11:15 a.m.
Bibs & Timing Bands - NEW!
All participants must pin their numbered bibs on their shirts. Your timing chip is attached to your bib. Please do not remove.
Climb Time Waves
Climbers will begin their ascent up the Willis Tower in waves every 15 minutes. Assigned wave times will be printed on your bib.
Participants are asked to arrive at our staging area at the Willis Tower 15 minutes prior to the designated wave time.
Space is limited. Gear check is available. Please bring your packet pick up bags for gear check. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate the storage of luggage and large bags; we will not be able to accept such large items in gear check. Please do not check valuables, as we cannot be held responsible for your items.
- Listen for your starting time block to be announced and report to the staging area on Lower Level 2 to line up with your group.
- Climb single-file on the right side of the staircase and allow faster climbers to pass on the left. You can stop on a landing to catch your breath, but be aware that other climbers are coming up behind you.
- If you need to stop the climb for any reason please inform one of the volunteers, who will be stationed on every other floor. Monitors will be stationed throughout the stairwell to assist you. There are exits on floors 34 and 66 for those who cannot finish
- Climbers may only ascend the tower once. Carrying infants and small children is prohibited.
- Check out our training tips for climbers or handcyclers!
- Firefighters registering to climb in gear may not start prior to 10am; acceptable climb gear does not include tanks or respirators.
Access to the SkyDeck is for climbers only. Spectators may wait on the Lobby Level.
Water will be available in the lobby, at the finish line on floor 103 and at 6 additional water out stations through the stair climb.
Restrooms are available prior to entering the stairwell. For accessible restroom please see Customer Service on the lobby level. Restrooms are not available in the stairwells. Please remember to use the facilities before your climb.
Emergency medical crews will be on site for those who need assistance during the event. Red phones located inside the stairwells can connect you directly to Willis Tower security.
Donations can be dropped off at in the Customer Service area. Checks should be made payable to Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. They may also be mailed to Shirley Ryan AbilityLab c/o Advancement, 355 East Erie Street, Chicago, IL 60611. Get more information on contact us or our sponsorship page.
SkyRise Chicago Fun Facts
How many flights to the top?
In the past, it has been 103 flights to the Skydeck. In 2017 and 2018, there are two bonus flights due to construction at the Willis Tower.
How long does the competition take to complete?
Top climbers finish in as little as 13 minutes, while the average participant takes from 30 to 45 minutes to finish.
What is the record time?
12:58 minutes, set in 2017.